“There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”
― C.S. Lewis
I’ve come across this quote a lot this past week. It’s the last week in this year, and I think the quote is quite appropriate for the coming year. So much has happened these past few years, so many changes and challenges. Many of them hard, some of them good. Yet here we are on the brink of 2013. Where has the time gone?
Over the last several years, I’ve experienced the lost of several families members, left a church we loved, and said goodbye to a dog I owned for 11.5 years. I’ve also welcomed new family members, gotten married myself, bought a house, adopted two dogs, bought some fish, and have a cat as well. This year especially has been a year of change, partially if I start with December of 2011. Most of the changes were positive, a few hard. I got married, one nephew was born, we bought a house, we adopted a dog, and we have another nephew about to be born. We lost most of our crop, making it financially tight, struggled with vehicles problems and our hot water heater going out. All of this has happened in just over a year! I cannot wait to see what 2013 will bring! I have a feeling it’s going to be a very good year indeed, perhaps the best yet.
As we approach the coming new year, I have a few Resolutions:
2013 New Year’s Resolutions:
- To write and to actually get something published. To finish at least one book, and keep up with at least one blog on a daily or near daily basis, to write daily
- To spot at least 115 species of birds this year, to take at least one major birding trip for each season
- To track my eating habits and work to increase vitamins, minerals, and food groups that I’m not getting enough of
- Continue with piano lessons and work on the guitar
- Do more with my photography than just take photos. Take as many art classes as I can.
Writing is number one on the list because I really want to pursue this one the most. I’ve always wanted to be a published author, and to have a book that I’ve written in the hands of others. So this year, as the New Year comes in, I’m committing to write nearly daily. I know there will be days when I’m sick, days when emergencies happen or things come up, but I want to blog and write every day.
I love the quote I shared by C.S. Lewis. While there have been many good things this year, and a few difficult things, we now leave them behind. And I feel it, deep down, that there are far far better things than any of what we leaving behind. Lord willing, 2013 will be an exciting year!